At Wristband Bros, education is something that we believe very strongly in. On that note, for the month of February, we will donate 10% of your order value to our featured non-profit, Breakthrough Providence, whenever you use the promo code: 10forBTPVD
How does it work? It’s simple! When you use the promo code 10forBTPVD at checkout, we’ll set 10% of your total order value aside. At the end of the month, we’ll add them all up and donate that revenue to Breakthrough Providence. Keep reading to learn what their mission is all about.
Breakthrough Providence pursues a dual mission to increase academic opportunity for highly motivated, underserved students and prepare them for post-secondary success; and inspire and develop the next generation of teachers and educational leaders.
Breakthrough is more than education.
Breakthrough Providence envisions an equitable, inclusive, and transformative education system in which our students develop the academic, social-emotional, and 21st century skills to thrive. Teachers and educational leaders who reflect the backgrounds of their students facilitate engaging classroom experiences, amplify student voices, and empower students to be agents of change and decide their own destiny.
For over 30 years, Breakthrough Providence has been working diligently on their mission. Since their humble beginnings in 1991, they have amassed over 2,000 student and teacher alumni via their Middle School, College Bound and Teaching Fellowship programs. These are the core offerings of their organization and they place an emphasis on academic enrichment, mentorship, community, and social-emotional & leadership development.
In the video above you met Kemi, one of their proud alumna. She is one of the many success stories to come out of Breakthrough Providence. In fact, each year over 95% of their students graduate high school and at least 75% enroll in college, compared to the local averages of 71% and 38% respectively.
Their success is due in large part to their approach. They have a list of very admirable values:
- Equity and Opportunity: At Breakthrough, we are committed to intentionally creating communities that represent a wide diversity of identities including, but not limited to race, gender identity, class, ability, citizenship, sexual orientation, and religion. We strive to address educational inequity by providing resources, support, and opportunities for our communities of students and families, teaching fellows, staff, and leaders. We aim higher than an atmosphere of tolerance and instead strive to make our community inclusive through a foundation of love and respect.
- Lifelong Learning: At Breakthrough, we create an environment that celebrates curiosity and fosters lifelong learners who embrace the growth mindset, both professionally and personally.
- Collaboration and Community: At Breakthrough, we invest in the experience and success of others and recognize that all community members have wisdom and expertise that enriches and moves our work forward. We work together as a team to accomplish what is needed. We know that substantive change and growth happen when we operate under the assumption that everyone has much to learn and much to teach. This mindset amplifies the leadership potential in all of its constituents, thereby benefiting the local, national, and global communities we live in.
- Student-Centeredness: At Breakthrough, students are our first priority and decision-making centers around what benefits them, first and foremost. We approach our students’ experiences and goals with humility and curiosity, honoring their agency as individuals on unique self-determined pathways toward self-defined goals.
- Persistence: Our work and growth frequently requires stepping outside of our comfort zones, and often in the face of individual and systemic obstacles. We push ourselves and support others to continue until our work is finished.
- Excellence: At Breakthrough, we set high expectations for ourselves and others. We strive to give and receive feedback, and evaluate our work regularly to grow our practice and impact. We recognize and value where we have come from and push ourselves to raise the bar of excellence every day.
- Spirit: Fun, energy, joy, and celebration are necessary components of our Breakthrough experience as they enhance our learning, build community, and sustain and motivate us in our hard work.
We encourage you to learn more about Breakthrough Providence and keep up with them on Facebook and Instagram. Consider donating to them directly, and if you are really intrigued, you could even apply to join the program!
As always, if you need some sweet custom wristbands, we’ve got you covered. Please consider donating 10% For Good with code 10forBTPVD at checkout!
Interested in becoming a part of our 10% For Good initiative? Learn more!